Middle School Families
I am excited to welcome your child to DeWitt Middle School! The 2018 - 2019 school year will be an exciting one with the new reconfiguration of schools. Creating a 6th - 8th grade building provides us with some wonderful opportunities to meet the unique needs of students at this age level. I encourage you to read through the Curriculum Guide and become familiar with the wide variety of courses that we will offer at the Middle School. Our students’ daily schedules will consist of a Seminar class (about 20 minutes) and six other classes throughout the day (about 56 minutes each). All students are required to take Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies for a full year. All students are also required to take a trimester of PE and a trimester of Health. To fill the rest of their schedules, students are able to provide some input on their preferences for elective classes. Elective classes meet for a trimester, unless otherwise noted. All of the required classes and elective classes that could be available next year are described in the curriculum guide. You will notice that the guide is broken up by grade level. Students need to fill out their preferences on the appropriate registration sheet for their grade level. I understand that the transition to middle school is a significant step in a child’s life and I look forward to helping make that transition as smooth as possible for everyone.
These dates are important to note for the scheduling process:
- March 16th - Students receive registration forms for the 2018 - 2019 school year. These forms will also be posted on the Junior High website.
- March 20th, 22nd, 27th, and 28th - Parent Meetings will be held each of these evenings from 6:00 - 7:00pm. The content of these meetings will all be the same so you don’t need to attend more than once. On the 20th and 22nd the presentations will be in the Herbison Woods Auxiliary Gym. On the 27th and 28th the presentations will be in the Junior High Auditorium. The presentation from these meetings will also be posted on the Junior High website if you are unable to attend.
- March 29th - All forms need to be turned in to the student’s Homeroom or Seminar teacher by this date.
- April 2018 - Students will enter elective preferences into Infinite Campus
- August 2018 - Schedules for the 2018 - 2019 school year will be released in Infinite Campus
Sincerely, Keith L. Cravotta, Ed.D.Principal517firstname.lastname@example.org